Monday, March 28, 2011

Cubby, the Pirate

This is Cubby.  He's my "almost" three year old grandson.  And I miss him like crazy.  Cubby is not the name he was given when he was born.  I was talking to him the other day on the phone, and he told me he had a new name.  I said, "a new name"?, "yes", he said, "my new name is Cubby, because I am a pirate".  So, I now call him Cubby, because he is a pirate! 
My daughter had to tell me about the new show he's been watching on Disney Junior called Jake and the Neverland Pirates.  He just loves it.  So, I looked the show up and had a great idea for my favorite little guy's birthday in a little over a month.  I was in the middle of getting ready to snazzy-up the windows in the craft room but cleaned that project right off my work bench and got to work!
I printed off a couple of colored pictures of Jake and his friend Cubby, and a silly bird named Scully, who I loved immediately.  Then I pulled out my paint chips of all my Folk Art Acrylic Colors, and I got together a pretty nice color palette to make my new friends come to life.  I grabbed my paints and brushes and got to work!

I had three 8"x10" canvas boards stashed in the craft room surfaces pile and thought it would be a cute idea to stripe lightly behind the characters as the only background.  To me, it looked a little nautical, and with the characters being my main focus of the projects, I didn't want it to be too busy.  I striped Cubby's background horizontally, and the other two canvases for Jake and Scully I striped vertically.  I used my all time favorite color, Folk Art Light Blue, to lightly dry brush the color on in between the tape lines. 

I printed the images from Disney Junior's site where they have coloring book pages for kids to print off and color.  My grandson and I have been using this sight for all of his favorite characters since he could hold a crayon.  We've done every single character from Cars, Finding Nemo, and Monsters, Inc.  (just a few of our favorites)  I cut the image out loosely, and centered it on the canvas, and placed a sheet of transfer paper underneath.  I traced the lines and had a perfect image to fill in. 

I painted the image using small brushes and tried to "color in the lines" as best as I could.  I thought it looked a little flat when I was finished, so I went in and shaded and highlighted where necessary.  This took several trips back to the computer where I could view full episodes of this adorable cartoon, and reference the characters again, and again! 
I just used a wet brush and side loaded into the shade color I wanted to use.  I followed the lines and added shading where I liked it best.  Then I outlined it all in Folk Art Licorice that I thinned down with a bit of water. 

Here they all are!  I think "Cubby" will be very happy to get these in the mailbox this week.  I wish I could deliver them myself, but this will have to do for now. 

5 comments:

  1. Holli!...you just keep rocking! Keep it up..keep creating and most of all..keep loving it! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, these are SO cute! I want a girl pirate one with glasses! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! That is so sweet Holli...I'm sure your little "Cubby" will treasure them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are gifted! You must get it from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOw much would it cost me for you to paint these for me!! I'm doing my son's room in pirates and these would be PERFECT!!!

    ReplyDelete